Sunday, January 21, 2007

Inspired

We were graced with the first snowfall of the season today. It is lovely and treacherous.

I was inspired by Jenn's tale of how she found what she wanted and thought that articulating some of my goals might help me reach a similar state.

I want to go to grad school for technical/professional writing. I don't want my day job to define me, but I do want it to be something I enjoy that challenges and engages me. Writing is a prime candidate for such a career. The level at which I would like to pursue this seems to point to a graduate degree, unless I can land a fabulous job without it; in that case, I'd land the job and then get them to finance my desire for an advanced degree. And then perhaps some day, I'll make enough money from said dayjob to go get an advanced degree in music.

I would like to live somewhere between Baltimore, Washington, and Frederick, and not only because I have friends in this region (though that admittedly doesn't hurt). The writing market is strong there, and the folk/classical/liturgical music communities are thriving.

I would like to pick up formal flute study again, even if I'm not working on an advanced degree. I'd like to continue developing my music career as I develop my writing one. I would like to teach flute and kin instruments but drop clarinet. I would want to teach one night a week instead of three so that I could practice/perform more.

I want to become a decent guitarist and maybe pick up other fretted instruments. I have no idea how, when, or where I developed an obsession with said instruments.

I want to be financially savvy, saving and investing with the best of them, living comfortably but not extravagently.

I want an apartment, a space of my own that I can come home to after the work is done and the music is played--a place where I can gather friends and family in for an evening.

I want to carve out the kind of life that I would be happy to share with a husband and children but that I wouldn't mind keeping for myself if that's what God asks.

The encouraging news is that I'm making headway on a good many of these goals, even if it is only in baby steps.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home