Saturday, December 23, 2006

Ch-ch-changes.

Yesterday's interview went very well. So well, in fact, that I am the newest proofreader at York Stenographic Services and am slated to begin my new position on January 2nd. They had origingally hoped to start me next week, but the higher-ups seemed less than excited about hiring someone three days before the end of the year. Can't think why. ;)

I'm quite excited! To finally be full-timed employed in one of my fields is a hard-won dream. It took long enough, for crying out loud, and I endured a few months of extremely hard times emotionally, spiritually, and financially before arriving here. And I am so thankful to have finally made it to this place. I cannot wait to see what comes next, once I actually begin working.

Most of my dreams are rather plebian: pay down some debt, get a computer, visit the eye doctor (after entirely too long time away), save some money, get my own place. Some are less earthy: find my place in the world, carve out a niche for myself, live a full and generous life once I can meet my own very "bleh" financial obligiations.

I must confess, to my shame, that while I am thrilled and thankful, I am also a little bit afraid. I am afraid that when I am consumed day in and day out with making money so I can make a comfortable life, I'll lose my dreams and my drive, my restlessness that pushes me to seek beyond the surface. I'll fall into a routine of work and teaching and have no real time left for amusement or enjoyment. I'm afraid I'll be consumed by my dayjob and forget how to be a musician. Seriously. I'm afraid I'll forget how to look at the world around me and be awed by it.

But I am thankful for this opportunity and plan to seize it with both hands and just take life a day at a time. That's all any of us can ever do, really . . .

1 Comments:

Blogger Richard V. Rabil, Jr. said...

Congrats on the new job! You'll show those stenographers what real editing is like.

And don't be afraid about losing sight of the good life. You're surrounded by friends who won't let you ;)

December 29, 2006 1:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home