Saturday, November 11, 2006

Why I Love Moleskines

The proud owner of a moleskine for a couple months now, I had to share what this notebook has done to me.

It's turned me into "that" girl. The one who's frequently a little lost in thought, a little distracted from the conversation, who's processing things on a different level. The one forever whipping out her sleek black book to record some great line she heard or some trivial thought that hit her. The one who doodles aimlessly but amusedly.

This notebook has gotten me drawing again. I loved art as a kid but was discouraged from it by art teachers who thought I had no "talent" (my early flute teachers had the same attitude--thank God I didn't listen to them!). Now I've decided that it really doesn't matter if I'm a fabulous artist; what matters is that I'm creating things. I love the feel of ink across moleksine pages! I will write/draw about anything, just to have an excuse to enjoy how beautifully the lines flow. It is a glorious thing.

I have essay ideas, silly little drawings that make sense to no one but me, short stories that are half fiction, half real-life, little snippets of conversation, one-sentence synopses of life, and so on. There would be melodies of the random songs waiting to be written if I had a better inner ear and could write things without having to hear them first...

So yes, I was a skeptic when Eddie James and Linny Jane and an entire community on the internet sang the praises of this leather-bound gem, but I have been converted. ;)

1 Comments:

Blogger Richard V. Rabil, Jr. said...

This post makes wonderful sense in light of our conversation last night, lol.

Develop those essay ideas! I know you have all the time in the world.

November 12, 2006 1:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home