Sunday, February 25, 2007

Definitely worth discussing

I know I might be opening up a can of worms for some readers, but I have to say that I share many of the sentiments of Holy Whapping's post on the attitudes of many Trads. I can say that I've been in the "movement" for about ten years now in various stages, and the "time capsule" attitude I've run into in some communities has something that has always struck me as something at best not quite healthy and at worst, downright counterproductive.

I willingly admit that I know many Trads who do not feel this way, i.e. recognizing that this liturgy is an organic part of a living, breathing tradition rather than simply a fossilized presentation of an ancient ritual.

It is my firm belief that the future of the Church needs a hefty infusion of the theology of this historied liturgy mixed with a recognition that the Church is not a stagnant organization but rather the unfolding of God's Will in time.

I find myself in an awkward position with many of my Catholic peers, most especially in my mid-twenties age bracket. I have a firm attachment to and love for the Tridentine liturgy with its clarity of theology and decidedly vertical worship. At the same time, I believe that the survivalist, elistist mentality that this is the only "true" expression of Catholicism is dangerous. Either we accept that the Holy Ghost is guiding the Magesterium or we don't. Either the pope's ex cathedra is infallible or it isn't. Either Christ is faithful to His promise to never allow the gates of hell to prevail against the Church, or He isn't. There is a very real potential for the death of charity if Trads become convinced that they are the only gatekeepers of doctrine.

Something to wrestle with . . .

I'd be very interested to hear any thoughts on this.

1 Comments:

Blogger Edward said...

The Holy Spirit will kick traditionalists butt in keeping the faith all good and straight-edged. More leaning on God, less leaning on self-professed infallibility and unthoughtful dictatorship of method.

February 26, 2007 5:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home