Sunday, February 05, 2006

Musical Graces


It is indeed an odd feeling to anticipate and prepare for something for four years and then find it, surprisingly, everything that you hoped it would be . . . and over in an hour. Yesterday was my senior flute recital, which featured works by Anna Bon, Jacques Ibert, Robert Dick, and Sergei Prokoveiv. I stressed and spazzed and freaked out for months, up until the beginning of January, when I started to simply not care (which was also a bad thing . . .). Finally, it was crunch time (two weeks), and I worked hard but not particularly hard. I tried to regain a sense of why I was a musician in the first place. And then, left with only three hours to the performance, I ran off to the local Perpetual Adoration chapel and begged for a miracle: a good recital.

Sometimes brashness pays off in prayer: I got what I asked for. I wasn't really nervous, but I was supremely excited. Not everything was perfect; nothing ever is in a performance. But it was intense and heart-felt, and that was all I really wanted.

I got rave reviews from my friends who made up the audience, which included a dear priest friend of mine. I served as a choir director at his chapel for about nine months but haven't been able to see him very much lately. It was a pure joy to have him present for such a significant musical accomplishment in my life. I also had friends drive up from Virginia and down from Connecticut to be present. I was surrounded by love and support and the people who had seen me through this degree for the past four years. It was wonderful.

I also got a thrilling piece of news at the dinner that followed. I have some family connections at Notre Dame, and my dad had been speaking with one of them. According to this source, the Medieval Studies Institute is very excited about me and wants to find some way to make it possible for me to join them this fall!! I couldn't believe it!! A successful recital, and the promise of a brilliant graduate school career all in one day. Absolutely amazing!

Deo gratias.