Saturday, March 04, 2006

Of Soups, Grad Schools, Stories, and Tagging

I ended up going with the St. Basil soup, as it seemed more prudent to begin soup making with the humbler of my two options. To my surprise and delight, it came out very well--smells heavenly (ha ha!) and tastes just as good. I'm quite pleased, which is a good thing, as I now have enough soup to feed me for a week!

I began working on my new round of graduate school applications this evening, with greater fervor and more determination than the last batch. So hopefully I will have more success with this endeavor than with the last. Maybe St. Augustine can pull a few strings for me on that score.

It's been a while since I did any kind of shameless promotion, so here's a new one. Go to Writers Untie! and add to our strange, wonderful little story. Or at least read it, so that we feel like our work isn't in vain.

And now the real reason for this post: to answer the tagging of Anchorite. I actually had to put some serious thought into this!

Seven things to do before I die:

1. Learn to sight-sing (it’s just one of those things . . . )
2. Play in a professional symphony (regional level, like Harrisburg)
3. Get a Ph.D. (either rhetoric or music, I’m not fussy)
4. Have something published in a widely-read publication
5. Travel to Europe
6. Learn to dance
7. Create a knitting project all the way from raw wool to finished scarf (or blanket or mittens)

Seven things I cannot do:

1. Listen to rap (ugh)
2. Stay focused for long periods of time
3. Not have long hair ;)
4. Drive a manual transmission
5. Walk out of an office supply store without buying something
6. Not listen to/play music
7. Stop writing

Seven things I say:

1. Fie
2. You know what Augustine said? . . .
3. Remember in rhet theory . . .
4. Hey, where’s my *fill in the blank with a random object*; oh. (usually all run together)
5. Grad school! (when my friend Katie or I gets outsmarted by a lock, can of soup, pencil sharpener, etc. It’s a long story.)
6. I can’t think of anything to write about.
7. Will someone teach this moron how to use a bloody comma??

Seven books I love:

1. Augustine’s Confessions
2. The Lord of the Rings trilogy
3. Kat James’ The Truth about Beauty
4. Regine Perhoud’s Women in the Days of the Cathedrals
5. William Jurgens’ The Faith of the Early Fathers
6. G.K. Chesterton’s Orthodoxy
7. Charles Dickens’ Great Expectations

Seven movies I love:

1. Sense and Sensibility
2. Shrek 2 (shh, no comments!)
3. The original Star Wars trilogy
4. The LOTR trilogy
5. Beauty and the Beast (again, no comments!)
6. Sweet Home Alabama (come on, it’s a good chick flick)
7. Dracula (the old one, but with the Philip Glass/Kronos Quartet score)

I tag Linny Jane and Sober Sophomore!

2 Comments:

Blogger Anatole Upart said...

It is amazing to see how people with so varying tastes have still ended up in the circle of orthodoxy... Maginificent!

March 06, 2006 12:09 AM  
Blogger Anatole Upart said...

but isn't the Black more Traddy...:)

March 07, 2006 1:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home