Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Gradate school ho!

Many music-related things have been on my mind lately.  I’m very excited about choosing conducting for my graduate study.  Now it is a matter of choosing the right program for me and getting into it.  I’m a bit nervous but rather convinced that if I continue to work hard, I can get in.

Something has been bothering me about my church choir lately; how precisely does one go about teaching a choir hymns in parts if she can scarcely sight-sing herself?  Banging out parts on the keyboard seems banal and ineffective.  Maybe I should speak with Grace on that issue.  Father seems to be 100% behind whatever I choose to do with the choir, provided it’s within the guidelines laid down in Pius X’s Motu Proprio on sacred music—which reminds me, I need to get my hands on a copy of that document.

I had a wonderful conversation with my priest yesterday concerning women and education and other things.  It was truly enlightening and “edifying,” as Father likes to say.  I apparently need to do more independent reading on the Middle Ages:  women were not regarded as simply child-bearing accomplices to men.  They were so much more in so many fields.  I am so much less confused after I speak with him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home