Thursday, September 20, 2007

New adventure

I saw it coming. I was partly prepared for it, but like most things in life, it's still taking me a while to adapt.

I am joining the ranks of the carless.

That's right, ladies and gentlemen! This road warrior queen is giving up her crown in favor of a bike and mass transit. Why, you may ask? Interesting story.

There are a variety of reasons. The most pressing one is that I just got a call from the state inspection station today telling me that my car needs more money put into it than I am willing in order to pass inspection. That seems to make the solution pretty clear. Get rid of the car.

There is also the financial aspect. Freed from the responsibility of owning and maintaining an automobile, I can get a better handle on other aspects of my money. Pay down some debts. Buy a really awesome stereo. Buy some really sweet yarn. Get a new computer so I am not limited to beg/borrow/stealing whatever I can when I have things I need to do. And then, in true vicious cycle fashion, save for a down payment on a new car. Start the whole thing over again. Only this time, hopefully, with a better handle on things than the first time around.

There are a few snags in this fantastic plan. One of them is that I will have to discontinue guitar lessons until I have a way of getting to them again. There is no human way I can bike to Hagerstown. Think about this for a moment. The new guitarist is about to be separated from her cherished lessons. I think I might have to go cry. I am really upset about it, but I see no way around it right now. This just gives me extra incentive to get my stuff pulled together quickly so I can go back to them!

There's another snag. Many of my dearest friends live far away. As in, not within bus/bike/walking distance. In a stroke of good luck, Linny Jane and I happen to share many of the same friends, but we do not always share a common schedule.

I'm really kind of nervous about this, but I know that it is ultimately the smart thing to do.

At least, I really hope so.

2 Comments:

Blogger Anatole Upart said...

What about getting a scooter? Nothing is more natural than a speading reckless medievalist musician on a Vespa, with a guitar on the back. The price is not high, and the risks are exciting...

September 24, 2007 11:33 AM  
Blogger Anna Clare said...

You know, you are the second person to have suggested this to me! Hmm...

October 01, 2007 4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home