Thursday, August 30, 2007

New degree?

Just add this to the list of fields I might end up in, along with flute performance and medieval music: ethnomusicology with a concentration in linguistics.

Zee particular program that has caught my eye.

I've been tossing around the idea of going back to school since before I got out of it the first time around (anyone read this blog my senior year? haha). For a time after I started working, I thought that perhaps I might be content to go my way in the corporate world, making money, making music, and just kind of living the usual existence of 20-somethings. A year later, though, the bug hasn't left, and conversations with friends of late have left me itching even more to return to academia. The goal now is to be back by fall of '09. I'd prefer fall of '08, but if I go into a performance-oriented field, I want that extra year to get ready for auditions.

Ethnomusicology has found its way into the mix because of my interest in American and Irish folk music. Thinking back, this really isn't a new development, per se, because these traditions have been a conscious undercurrent in my musicanship for the past five or six years, and I was introduced to at least American folk by my father when I was really young. (I guess things like that really do stick sometimes!)

I'm just generally fascinated by music, and I really would love to teach and share that with other people. So we shall see where this new curve in the path leads...

We now return you to your regularly scheduled copyediting.