Tuesday, April 10, 2007

A thought. Not necessarily original.

I'm not sure if stealing chunks of other people's blogs and using them as writing prompts illustrates technological and pop culture saavy or a sad lack of originality, but when I saw Linny Jane wrote this, I had to swipe and expound on it:

I have so many obligations, and yet it feels as though I accomplish nothing.

Not sure what it's going to take for that to change. I can't imagine living life any other way. I'm scared I'd get bored or something. But maybe being bored isn't such a bad thing.

I run, unapologetically and freely chosen, all over the fair earth every week for a variety of reasons. I work full-time five days a week, teach three hours a night three days a week, take guitar lessons in an obscure corner of western Maryland on Saturdays, and often drive to Baltimore Sunday mornings for Mass. Friday or Saturday nights, I'm usually out with friends, most commonly of the "nowhere near where I live" variety. And if I'm not out for the heck of it, I'm performing somewhere.

I hate and love living like this. I hate feeling like I'm always running somewhere, to dubious benefit or value. I hate that I am stressed more often than not. I hate that I never have time to read or spin yarn or make rosaries or cook elaborately.

But I love going places. I love seeing people and things and accumulating new life experiences. I love the dangerous, precarious, beautiful life of a music teacher and performer. I love exploring. I love knowing that there is always something waiting for me to do.

I'm currently working on consolidating some of my life into one area, i.e., trying to relocate and find a job that will enable me to work 9 to 5 and then just go home. But I know that as soon as I've begun to settle in, I'll just start finding new ways of filling up my time. ;) Maybe I'll finally be able to practice both flute and guitar every night. ;)

1 Comments:

Blogger Edward said...

The only thing I can say is that as much as it may have its negative aspects, do it while you can. You won't always have the luxury of living on all four corners of the earth.

You're living the musician-writer dream. Keep living it while life affords you such an opportunity!

April 13, 2007 3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home